Insurance for:

Insurance for:

Monthly Archives: April 2013

I have my Dental Malpractice Insurance. What other insurance do I need?

Once we have completed the process of writing Dental Malpractice insurance, we are often asked this question. Since every client’s situation is unique, the answer is often different. What one Oral Surgeon or Dentist may require, another may not.

Other types of insurance for Oral Surgeon and Dental Practices include:

  • Businessowners – Protects a professional organization or an individual who owns or leases a business office from loss related to covered property damage or general liability (slip and fall). Hired and Non-Owned Auto coverage is also often recommended and offered under this type of policy.
  • Umbrella Liability – Extended Liability for your office.
  • Cyber Liability – Protects against computer hacks, breach, or patient privacy.
  • Medical Defense Liability – Defends claims against insurance and Medicare/Medicaid fraud.
  • Directors’ and Officers’ Liability – Protects against liability for decisions made while serving on a board as a director or officer.
  • Workers’ Compensation Liability – Protects the employer against employment related injury or accident. Required by the State of Florida in most cases.
  • Employment Practices Liability Insurance “EPLI” – Protects the employer against employment –related suits from employees.

In addition to Professional Liability, what other insurance do YOU need? In today’s litigious climate, understanding the importance of this question and it’s impact on a doctor’s financial future is crucial. It is important to select an Independent Agent that has the expertise required to assist the doctor in determining his or her needs.

As leaders in the Professional Liability Insurance marketplace, Gracey-Backer Insurance, Inc. , understands the needs of our Oral Surgeons and Dentists. We are committed to our job which is to protect our clients from financial loss with insurance products designed to meet their individual needs.

Regina Walker

Regina Walker is an Agent at Gracey-Backer, Inc., an Insurance Agency in Delray Beach, Florida specializing in All Lines of Professional and Personal Insurance for the Healthcare Provider. Regina is an Account Executive in the Dental/Oral Surgery Department. She can be contacted at 800-272-6055 ext 111, or at

Emerging Risk affecting Medical Practices: Cyber Liability

cyber-liabilityIn today’s data-driven world, where sensitive patient information is collected, stored and communicated electronically, physician and surgeons practices of all sizes are especially vulnerable to costly and damaging liabilities from data security breaches or “hacks”. Cybercrime, including identity fraud, is the fastest growing criminal activity. The cost to recreate compromised patient data is staggering.

Whether your data is compromised by a hacker, virus, cyber thief, or simply because of lost or stolen computers, laptops, flash drives and smart phones, the breaches can have serious ramifications. The cost to recreate compromised patient data is staggering, and includes the expense of notifying customers—now legally mandated by 46 states—possible fines and legal expenses. Your practice can also suffer immense damage to its reputation and from the interruption to business.

Traditional liability insurance products only cover “tangible” assets. Electronic data is not considered “tangible” under the typical policy definition. Cyber Liability Insurance fills that gap. (There may be a small amount of coverage on a professional liability policy, but this amount can be quickly eroded.) It is highly recommended that all healthcare offices purchase a separate Cyber Liability Policy.

Please call us at Gracey-Backer, Inc. for more information on Cyber Liability Insurance protection.

Barbara Gracey Backer

Barbara Gracey Backer is the Vice-President of Gracey-Backer, Inc., an Insurance Agency in Delray Beach, Florida specializing in All Lines of Professional and Personal Insurance. She may be contacted at 800-272-6055 X118 or at

Occurrence vs. Claims-Made Malpractice Insurance Policy: Which is better?

occurrence-claims-made-malpractice-insurance-policy2Whether you are about to graduate from dental school or are a well-established Oral Surgeon or Dentist, it is important to understand the types of coverage offered through a professional liability or dental malpractice insurance policy. The two types of dental malpractice policies may seem confusing at first or may seem like a technicality, but deciding which kind of policy is best for you is the biggest factor in purchasing a dental malpractice insurance policy.

There are two kinds of dental malpractice insurance policies: Occurrence and Claims-Made. Occurrence policies protect you for treatment rendered during the policy period, no matter when a claim is reported. The policy that covers you is the one that was in force when the dental treatment occurred that resulted in a claim. In contrast, the claims-Made policy in force at the time the claim is reported to your insurance carrier is the policy that responds to the particular claim. Claims-Made coverage protects you for services performed from the time your coverage began, which is called the retroactive date. Each Claims-Made policy protects you only through the annual expiration date, so you must always renew your Claims-Made policy at expiration to be assured of continuous coverage spanning back to your retroactive date.

occurrence-claims-made-malpractice-insurance-policyThe cost of an occurrence policy is fixed year-to-year and is only affected by overall rate changes or underwriting. The cost is more than a Claims-Made policy due to the way that risk is calculated. In contrast, the cost of a Claims-Made policy starts low in the first year due to the fact that the risk of having a claim brought against you in the first year is minimal. As the years go by, the risk of a claim being brought against you increases, so the cost of the premium increases. After five years, this stair-step process ends and your premium levels off and is “mature”. The difference in cost over the five-year Claims-Made step period is approximately 194% more by choosing an occurrence policy. After the stair-step period has ended and going forward into the future, an annual occurrence policy typically costs 112% more than a “mature” Claims-Made policy.

Down the road, if you want to switch insurance companies or retire, you will have to cancel your Claims-Made policy or let it expire. Claims-Made policies do not cover claims made after the termination of the policy, so you will need to purchase “Tail” coverage in these situations to ensure continuous coverage. A tail covers you for claims arising from treatment rendered between the retroactive date and the cancellation date, but which are reported after the policy has ended. Tail coverage is generally expensive, and some insurance companies offer a free tail at retirement, permanent disability or death based on certain conditions. If you are switching insurance companies, the new company will generally accept liability for claims based on incidents that happened under the old policy. They do this by keeping your retroactive date the same.

So which type of policy should you choose? It all depends. If you are working as an independent contractor and may change employers frequently in the future, you are better off with an occurrence policy. This is because you will not be able to take your policy with you to future employers and by purchasing an occurrence policy you will be able to avoid paying for a tail policy as required by a Claims-Made policy. If you plan to start your own practice or join a well-established practice and plan on staying there for a long time, you are better off with a Claims-Made policy. This is because you will be able to save significant dollars since the cost of the Claims-Made policy is less than that of an occurrence policy.

John Gracey Backer, CPA

John Gracey Backer, CPA, is the Treasurer of Gracey-Backer, Inc., an Insurance Agency in Delray Beach, Florida specializing in All Lines of Malpractice, Professional and Personal Insurance for the Healthcare Provider. He can be contacted at 800-272-6055 ext 128, or at

In the News:

Skip to content