Just as each dentist is different, and each dental practice is different, each dental malpractice insurance company operating in Florida is also different. Some are big, some are small. Some insure all dental specialties, some prefer one specialty over another. Some have been around for a long time, some are trying to gain a foothold in the state.
Given the many malpractice insurance companies operating in Florida, and the complexities of dental malpractice insurance, how does a Florida dentist choose the best malpractice insurance company for his or her specific practice?
The following steps below can guide the Florida dentist to the right medical malpractice company:
- Find those Florida dentist malpractice insurance companies which specialize in insuring dentists. Not all do. Some malpractice insurance companies operating in Florida really specialize in insuring physicians and surgeons. Florida dentists are a sideline. It is important to choose a dental malpractice insurance company that understands the unique needs of the Florida dentist. Risk Management programs should be geared strictly to the Florida dentist and not to Florida physicians and surgeons.
Check with your peers. They are a good reference for the right dental malpractice insurance company in your area and in your specialty. If one of your colleagues has been sued for dental malpractice, he or she can give you a very realistic account of the quality of the defending company.
- Contact an Agent. It is best to deal with an independent insurance agent who specializes in the sales and service of dental malpractice insurance. He or she knows the players, has the rates, and can shop your dental malpractice insurance among a variety of quality companies. Your dental malpractice insurance agent can give you the A.M. Best Company ratings as well as information on the financial condition of the dental malpractice companies operating in Florida. You can also check with your local Better Business Bureau to review any complaints against your prospective dental malpractice insurance company.
- Obtain quotes. Your dental malpractice insurance agent can secure quotes from various dental malpractice insurance companies for you. Often, you will only need to complete one application, which your dental malpractice insurance agent can fan out to various companies he or she represents. Be sure to submit a complete application to avoid time-wasting questions and follow-ups.
- Compare policies. Not all policies are created equal. The least expensive dental malpractice insurance quote may reflect the weakest policy. This weakness could very well come back to haunt you if there is a claim. Compare and contrast such features as:
- Limits of Liability – amount of coverage in the event of a claim
- Prior Acts Date – the date after which a dental claim is covered on a claims-made policy
- Claims-made or Occurrence form
- Defense Costs – inside or outside the limit of liability
- Exclusions – what is not covered
Gracey-Backer, Inc. represents several of the finest dental malpractice companies in the State of Florida. We have been in business since 1925 and are one of the oldest and most respected dental malpractice insurance agencies in the state. Our agents specialize in the sales and service of dental malpractice insurance for oral surgeons, dental specialists, general dentists, and dental office staff. Being a “full-service” insurance agency, we can handle dental malpractice insurance and your dental office policy, your workers compensation insurance and your personal lines insurance, giving you ease of doing business and minimizing the risk of a gap in your insurance program.