If I live on the Second Floor of a Condominium do I still need to purchase Flood Insurance in Florida?

This is a question we are asked all the time by Florida homeowners. The answer is simple—yes you should purchase flood insurance even if you are on upper stories of a new condominium. This is especially true if your building is located near the ocean.

The biggest flood exposure you have is if we experience a major hurricane or tidal surge which undermines the structure of the entire building. In this case, if water damages your unit, your flood insurance policy will respond. In addition, your policy will respond if the condo association’s flood master policy is insufficient to cover damage to the common elements and you are assessed for the difference. While these risks are rare, they would be catastrophic if they occurred.

You need to check with the Property Manager of your building to see if there is a Master Flood Insurance Policy in force. The master policy will help us know much coverage can be written on your additions and alterations and on your contents. The property manager should also the elevation certificate on hand, which is needed for a flood insurance quote if the property is located in a high-risk flood zone.

Remember that a Florida Condominium Unit Owner’s Insurance Policy does NOT cover the peril of flood. Many Florida condominium owners have the false impression that they are fully covered for hurricanes without taking the risk of flooding into account.

Gracey-Backer, Inc., an Insurance Agency in Delray Beach, Florida specializing in all lines of personal insurance, and has since 1925. For a no-obligation quote on homeowners insurance, auto insurance, flood insurance, boat insurance, or umbrella insurance policies, please contact us 561-276-6055 or 800-272-6055 and ask for personal lines. Or you can email us at insurance@gbifl.com.

John Gracey Backer, CPA
John Gracey Backer, CPA

John Gracey Backer, CPA, is the Treasurer of Gracey-Backer, Inc., an Insurance Agency in Delray Beach, Florida specializing in All Lines of Malpractice, Professional and Personal Insurance for the Healthcare Provider. He can be contacted at (561) 404-5828, or at john@gbifl.com.

Articles: 58