Insurance for:

Insurance for:

Monthly Archives: October 2014

Who Needs Personal Umbrella Coverage and Why Do We Need It?

Today, more than ever, it is important for you to carry higher limits of personal liability coverage. In the event of a serious loss, your auto, homeowners, and watercraft policies may not provide enough protection. A personal excess or “umbrella” policy will provide an additional layer of liability protection in excess of (over and above) your primary homeowners, auto and watercraft policies. It offers protection for you and your resident family members against large and potentially devastating liability claims or judgments. In essence, a personal umbrella policy kicks in right where your other underlying liability limits stop.

The following illustrates the reason you would want a personal umbrella policy: If you are at fault in an auto accident and injure other drivers, your auto policy will pay up to the limit. But it the other driver has a good job and cannot work for an extended period because of their injuries, your personal umbrella policy will pick up the additional coverage and defense costs if you are sued—up to the limits of the policy.

Who is covered under a personal umbrella policy? A “covered person” includes you, your spouse or domestic partner, any relative under the age of 25 who is in your care or the care of a relative. All must be residents of the same household. Coverage includes students away at school even if they are residents of a different state or are enrolled in a study abroad program. Additionally, coverage extends to “permissible use”, which includes any person using a covered vehicle or watercraft with permission from the certificate holder or a family member with respect to their legal responsibility arising out of its use.

What are the underlying insurance requirements? Generally, you must maintain $250,000/$500,000 of coverage for bodily injury and $100,000 for property damage or $300,000 combined single limits under your auto policy to avoid a gap in coverage. You must maintain $300,000 of liability coverage under your homeowner’s or rental policy.

Are professional and business activities included? Generally, business pursuits are excluded, although incidental business or incidental farming activities and property liability are often covered. Professional liability is excluded. Vacation or rental housing properties you own are generally covered.

Is a vehicle that is registered under my business covered? Yes, generally coverage is provided for you personally but not for the business. It is important that you and the corporation are named on the underlying auto policy.

Are recreational vehicles covered by the personal umbrella policy? Yes. The policy covers all terrain vehicles, antique classic or replica vehicles, dune buggies, golf carts, motor homes, motorcycles, trail bikes, mopeds, motorized bikes, mini-bikes, snowmobiles, and pedacycles. A single premium covers all of these RVs and the cars you own.

How are defense costs handled on a personal umbrella policy? The policy generally provides unlimited legal defense for covered claims.

What is personal liability? Personal liability risks are covered by the personal umbrella policy and can include the following: libel, slander, defamation of character, false arrest, detention, wrongful eviction, malicious prosecution and invasion of the right of privacy.

Barbara Gracey Backer

Barbara Gracey Backer is the Vice-President of Gracey-Backer, Inc., an Insurance Agency in Delray Beach, Florida specializing in All Lines of Professional and Personal Insurance. She may be contacted at 800-272-6055 X118 or at

General Liability Coverage—You’ve Got Questions…We’ve Got Answers!

We hear questions from our commercial clients concerning general liability insurance, namely what is it, why do I need it, what does it cover, and does it duplicate other coverage. The following attempts to answer these questions about general liability insurance.

  • What does general liability insurance cover? General liability insurance, which is generally part of a commercial package policy, covers you for claims of bodily injury or property damage. Legal defense, non-monetary losses suffered by the injured party, compensatory damages, and punitive damages are generally covered. Basic coverages include:
    • Bodily injury and property damage liability: if someone is injured on your premises or if someone’s property is damaged on your premises and caused by you or your employees.
    • Personal and advertising injury liability: If you or your employees commit libel, slander, disparagement, or advertising infringement in the course of your business.
    • Medical expenses: Pays medical bills if someone is injured on your premises regardless of fault.
    • Premises and operations liability: Claims for bodily injury or property damage arising out of your business operations.
    • Fire legal liability: Protects you as a tenant if you cause damage to a property that you rent, such as by fire or other covered loss.
  • Why do I need general liability insurance coverage? General liability insurance is relatively inexpensive. It only takes one incident on your property to stress your financial security and your emotional well-being. You may keep a well-appointed, neat, efficient office but, accidents still happen and people will expect you to compensate them.
    If you are sued for a liability claim, the cost of defense could be as high as a potential judgment. General liability insurance pays for defense and also covers any settlement award, up to the limits of liability specified by the policy.
    Many companies have contracts that require them to carry general liability insurance. Banks also require general liability coverage in order to receive a loan.
  • General liability exposures are excluded under your professional liability policy.

  • How much general liability coverage do I need? This is the most common question we are asked and, of course, the answer is somewhat ambiguous. You should consider the litigious environment in your locale, your exposed assets, the type of business you are in, and the perceived risk associated with it. We like to say that no one regretted having too much insurance at the time of a loss. For a small business or practice with less risk, the general liability coverage is usually packaged with the property insurance in a Business Owner’s Policy, or BOP. You may also purchase coverage separately.
  • What if the general liability coverage on my policy is not enough? We encourage our clients to also purchase an excess liability policy, or umbrella policy, to give them higher liability limits for a nominal cost. If they are sued for a large amount, the underlying general liability policy will pay first and then the umbrella coverage will kick in. The umbrella coverage only goes over the general liability policy. It does not apply to professional liability insurance.

For a more detailed explanation of general liability coverage, or for a quote, kindly call us at 1-800-272-6055 or 561-276-6055.

Barbara Gracey Backer

Barbara Gracey Backer is the Vice-President of Gracey-Backer, Inc., an Insurance Agency in Delray Beach, Florida specializing in All Lines of Professional and Personal Insurance. She may be contacted at 800-272-6055 X118 or at

In the News:

Skip to content